2013 was a busy year. I started working in the game industry professionally and learned a lot. Unfortunately though I fell off the onegameamonth bandwagon in February already. New year, new resolutions. Lets see how far I can make it this time
After a month under review mat(c)h is finally available on BlackBerry World. Check it out here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/22459301/
For my February #1GAM I finally finished Geo Crack. I originally wrote it as an entry to a Windows 8 Hackathon and it actually won the Edutainment category. Finally I got around to polish and publish it and it has just been released on the Windows Store here.
You can see the gameplay in the video below:
I also integrated clay.io leaderboards and published it on the clay.io platform. I first heard about them when they sponsored js13kgames and using their platform has been an awesome experience so far. Integration is very easy, the often claimed 1-line integration really applies in this case, and uploading it was straight-forward as well. I’ll definitely publish more #1GAM entries there. mat(c)h got pushed to Facebook as well as clay.io makes Facebook integration a breeze. Depending on how Facebook/clay.io/BlackBerry Appworld go I might publish it to other platforms as well.
For my already delayed February #1GAM I’m currently working on a Java4K entry. I hope the size restrictions will let me finish this one relatively fast. At the moment I am playing around with an artillery game prototype.
I just submitted a first version of mat(c)h for the Playbook to the Blackberry App World. For a while there it looked like I’d fail already in the first month of onegameamonth. mat(c)h is a match 3 game with a mathematical twist. Instead of matching colors, etc. one has to match a number by picking three numbers a,b,c so that a times b plus or minus c is equal to it. It’s inspired by a tabletop game I used to play as a kid.
Below are some screenshots of it. I’ll try to record a gameplay video soon as well.
I recently started using Google Tasks quite a lot and found the default window size of it in GMail quite frustrating. Usually annoying UI issues on sites can be easily overcome with userscripts. I couldn’t find any which would handle this issue so I wrote one myself. It was a bit tricky because the way GMail adds the tasks after the rest of GMail has already loaded but after fiddling around for a while I found a solution using a MutationObserver which works quite well. The script is available for Chrome here. You can see the result in the screenshot below:
Lots of things happened in the last months under which most of my pet projects here suffered. I finally finished my Master’s and graduated and just started a new job. I am excited that I could turn a hobby into a full-time job and started working at GREE as Android game developer.
I wanted to make it a new year’s resolution to create one game prototype per month in 2013 anyways so the #onegameamonth project by McFunkypants was perfect to join for that. Hope that the rewards section there is going to add some extra motivation. For January I am working on finishing the Marmalade based BB10 game I started a while ago. Deadline is Jan 19th so I hopefully get this done soon.
There is also a major droidtext update with some long postponed fixes in the pipeline which will most likely get done in January as well.
Lots of exciting things happening at the moment. After a seemingly endless amount of time I finally finished and successfully defended my thesis! I am also going to switch jobs (currently in the final offer stages with 2 companies) soon and take a 1 month trip to India between jobs. Very excited for all of that!
Because of all of the above there was not a lot of time for side projects in the last months. I started submitting “Geo Crack” to the Windows 8 Store but so far it failed certification multiple times. It is quite annoying that MS doesn’t give you a complete list of issues from the start but instead add one minor issue each time it failed certification. Turnaround time on a submission is ~5 days which makes these iterations quite painful. On top of that the Win8 trial version I used to create Geo Crack just expired so I am going to have to get a license and resubmit once more. Hopefully I can get this done fairly soon.
While I initially planned on submitting Geo Crack and working on a BlackBerry app (to qualify for a free BlackBerry Playbook in this offer from Marmalade) for Ludum Dare’s October Challenge, none of that got done on time. But things are picking up now. Below you can find a preview to a number puzzle game I am working on for the BlackBerry Playbook. Still refining the
I hope to get a first beta version of it done this weekend and submit a version to the BlackBerry AppWorld before the India trip.
js13kGames ended a while ago and bomb.js unfortunately didn’t make it into the top 10. In the end a total of 61 games were entered and a lot of high quality entries were amongst them. At least my as3fxr synth port got a shout out at the presentation at onGameStart
Between js13kGames, job and finishing the first draft of my thesis I had not enough time to participate in the last Ludum Dare 24. To make up for it I am going to participate in the currently ongoing Ludum Dare October Challenge. The premise is simple: Make a game — Take it to Market — Earn $1. To finish the challenge I am going to release an ad-supported version of Geo Crack on the Windows 8 Store (currently in certification) and hope that it at least makes a few bucks.
On the October Challenge resource page there is also an opportunity listed to get a free BlackBerry Playbook by releasing an app built with the Marmalade SDK on the BlackBerry Appworld. If time permits it I might give this a shot as well.